Our history

History

The roots of Estiko Plastar reach into 1918 when Albert Laretei founded his comb factory in Tartu. At that time the first combs were made from natural bovine animal horns, later the production switched over to synthetic horns. The past 100 years have been filled with product and technology innovations and organizational advancement, leading us to an innovational packaging producers today. Detailed historical overview on timeline:

2017

  • Further expansion of our production facilities;
  • The implementation of laser perforation, cold seal technology;
  • 10-colour printing press.

2012-2013

  • Continuous investments into new technology including a 5-layer extruder used for food packaging; 
  • The start of our sales office in Sweden as well as extensive growth in exports to Scandinavia.

2010

  • Global Standard for Packaging and Packaging materials BRC/IOP certificate;
  • Investment to improve printing technology (HD Flexo).

2008

  • Investment in RTO equipment which cleans the air by burning all gases from the printing process.

2004

  • ISO 9001:2004 Certificate

2001

Large-scale investments in new machinery:
  • 3-layer extruders, 8-colour print presses, laminator and slitters;
  • Focus turns to food industry packaging.

1993

  • Privatisation and creation of the Estiko Group. The Group complement the production facility with the addition of real estate and retail businesses to the portfolio.

1981

  • This marks the end of the production of celluloide combs. In its place comes injection moulding production using styrofoam and polypropylene materials.

1975

  • By this time, the importance of films and film products has grown significantly. As a result, the production facility is expanded upon greatly and new equipment is purchased. 
  • An important innovation implemented at this time is the recycling of production waste. 
  • The number of employees increases to 978.

1969

  • The production of polyethylene film begins;
  • The workforce reaches 730 employees.

1961

  • New, innovative materials such as styrofoam and later polyethylene and polyproylene are implemented.

1950

  • The product range is expanded and a new primary material takes over in produciton: celluloid.
  • The number of employees 444.

1940

  • The enterprise becomes nationalized which leads to a substantial increase in production volumes as well as employees; 
  • reaching 400 workers.

1930

  • The factory is renamed the Estonian Comb Factory (officially in English), or Estico in the abbreviated form;
  • The main market is England; 
  • The staff increases to 114 workers

1918

  • Albert Laretei founds a comb factory in Tartu; 
  • The first combs were made from natural bovine animal horns. Later, the production switched over to synthetic "horns".